Two week is a long time to be away from the blog.
A couple things happen when you take a blogging hiatus, whether spontaneous or planned. First, your stats take a hit. The longer you are away from your blog, the lower they dip. Makes sense, right?
Second, you begin to lose momentum. The longer you are away from your blog, the harder it is to return. Suddenly, you’re busy with other things, some important and some not.
You don’t feel as creative as you did before your break. The words don’t flow as easily. The ideas just aren’t there.
I’m experiencing both a slight loss of readers and a big loss of momentum right now, which (as you can imagine) is making it more difficult to find motivation to begin blogging regularly again.
But there’s a good reason why I’ve been on a blogging hiatus: We moved, and my non-blogging life took precedence.
Here’s a quick rundown of the important things that’ve happened since we arrived at our new house late in the evening on Sunday, June 14:
- Jordan went back to work the day after we got here and I had both boys at home for the first week.
- My parents came to visit for two days to help us unpack and made a huge dent, but there are still so many boxes left to tackle.
- I discovered a children’s library and took the boys to story time — a day early (we returned the next day for the scheduled event).
- I got lost trying to find Target.
- We celebrated Father’s Day with close friends from Omaha who also live in the District.
- I toured two preschools and signed up Levi for school this fall.
- We nearly melted at the Farmer’s Market over the weekend.
- Levi started day camp on Monday, and I’ve been spending over an hour in the car each day just dropping him off and picking him up.
- I’m on day 3 of the Headspace Take10 program and determined to find a place of calm.
Tonight I’m excited to attend Kinfolk’s Creative Collaborations gathering at Union Market. The dinner is being organized by Rebecca of A Daily Something, who I’ve featured on the blog but have never met in person.
My hope is that I leave the event feeling motivated and inspired to return to blogging full-time and to explore some side projects I’ve been hesitant to pursue.
In the meantime, here are two ways to stay up-to-date on my life and what’s going with the blog:
1. Follow me on Instagram (I try to post at least twice a day)
2. Sign up for my newsletter for all the scoop on upcoming giveaways, series, and new content
I’ll be back!