This past Wednesday, Jordan and I played hooky from our parental duties to see a Broadway matinee. A couple of his friends were raving about Hand To God, a play that’s been described as “Avenue Q meets The Book of Mormon,” so we found a pair of cheap tickets and hopped on the train for an afternoon in New York City.
Either Jordan’s friends have terrible taste or we are simply not cultured enough to appreciate a show like Hand to God. We walked out of the theater disappointed (ok, we hated it) and completely baffled by what we just saw. Puppets. Blood. Religion. What?!
We decided that we couldn’t leave the city on such a sour note, so we bought discount tickets to the 7:30pm showing of Matilda. If you love musicals or Roald Dahl or pipsqueak little girls with British accents, you must go see it. Even though the actress who played Matilda got sick during the First Act (off-stage, thank goodness), and they had to put the show on hold for 10 minutes so her stand by could replace her, it was one of the best musicals I’ve ever seen.
Although our tickets were inexpensive by Broadway standards, it still felt indulgent to see two shows in one day. However, we justified it by calling it an early birthday present; my 35th birthday is on Sunday.
I haven’t brought up my birthday until now because I’m somewhat in denial that I’ll be–ack!–halfway through my 30s. When did I get so old? Also, this milestone birthday sort of snuck up on me. March has really flown by, hasn’t it?
I’m sure that next week I’ll have some deep thoughts to share about turning a year older. But until then, here are some lighthearted links to enjoy!
- What I learned about maple syrup at a local Maple Sugar Festival.
- Add some green to your home with houseplants you can’t kill.
- Skip solid polish and try a color block manicure this spring instead.
Plus, interesting links to explore this weekend:
- The iconic blue plastic IKEA bag gets a designer makeover.
- A geometric art print I’m considering for Levi’s bedroom at my parents’ house.
- Hilarious (free!) stock photos featuring Vince Vaughn.
- Manicure hacks from three of the top nail pros.
- A free printable style guide for writers and bloggers.
- Literally listening to your heart can help you get in touch with your emotional self.
- Here are seven lovely planters to display your greenery (if prints of houseplants won’t suffice).
- The prettiest Shibori pillows that are, sadly, out of my price range.
- New kicks for spring…in gold?