I slept poorly that night and woke up on Monday covered in sweat with a cough, sore throat, and congestion. A shower and some hot tea with honey and lemon helped, but by the afternoon, my exhaustion got the best of me. I napped on the couch, trying to rally because we had tickets to see Lewis Black at the Funny Bone that night with a group of friends, a date night activity I’d been looking forward to for almost two months.
Sadly, I couldn’t muster up enough energy to go, so we stayed home and ate chicken soup in our pajamas.
Fingers crossed this is just a cold and not the flu, which is now widespread in 40 states. (And peak flu season isn’t even until mid-February!) Time to break into the arsenal of products I used to ease my suffering when I battled a particularly nasty two-week cold back in November — especially since I couldn’t take any medicine.
Since there’s no avoiding cold and flu season, here are 10 products that’ll help keep you comfortable (and maybe even shorten the length of your symptoms) if you feel the dreaded throat tickle, too:
- Crane cool mist humidifier
- Puffs Fresh Faces saline wipes (the grown-up version of Boogie Wipes)
- Honest hand sanitizer
- Rosebud Salve lip balm
- AHAVA Mineral hand cream (a necessity after all that hand washing)
- Mustela Hydra Stick with Cold Cream (steal this from your baby and use it around your nose)
- Naked Green Machine Boosted smoothie (better than orange juice)
- Neti pot
- Coldcalm tablets (check with your doctor if pregnant)
- Neti pot salt
Not pictured: Spicy noodle bowl with chicken from Whole Foods, which, I swear, has medicinal properties.
PS – Baby’s first cold (so sad!)